- To study and establish criteria used to determine official geographical names in the national interest
- To study and formulate the Guidelines for the Formation of the National Geographical Names Database.
- To determine whether the objectives, functions and output of activities are in line with the requirements of the government and country.
- To study and establish the methodologies for the activities of the on-line Geographical Names, National Gazetteer, National Standard Document and other activities relating to geographical names.
- To collaborate with the National Mapping and Spatial Data Committee (NMSDC), TC2 SIRIM and other committees connected with the formation of the national geographical information infrastructure